Sunday, August 12, 2012

Daddy's grown up girl


You’ve loved me in every way you knew how
You brought me “kill bill yellow” flowers,
And traveled across oceans to surprise me.
Your crooked smile never failed to mend my broken heart.
You taught me harsh lessons,
And pretended to disappear.
I know I never called your home mine,
I know it upset you,
I know you worried about a place I could call home.
But everywhere I wandered,
I had a sense of home,
Because I had you.
You were my superman.
My only man.
There was no kryptonite in my version of your story.
I didn’t see it,
Because I was it.
I wish I had.
I wish I knew.
I wish all that you taught me included that.
I’d eat all the onions,
Scrape my plate and cringe,
If I could change what I did today.
I’m sorry you taught me so well.
I was always your little girl,
But after today,
I’ll be grown up for you. 

2 comments:

What's in a name? said...

What a strange little girl...

Educate Inspire said...

The same state of mind I am in!